Monday, August 15, 2005

Merci, Madame!

More than being spectacularly helpful and encouraging, your inspired post reminded me what a dang spanktacular friend you are and how very well you know me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It seems that the fog may be lifting for us both. The challenge now (cuz we know there'll always be one) is the fog seems to be lifting just as a shitstorm is about to dump on us. So much work to do with no downtime. This means the pressure's on to be extra diligent about taking care of ourselves, whatever that means at the moment.

I do believe sometimes that means martinis and ice cream, but more often it means kindess to self in the form of exercise and eating nutritious things. As b.d has said, "Let me remind you, vodka martinis have no nutritional value. Ice cream has some nutritional value."

And as Pam has reminded me from time to time, the impulse to eat when the going get rough just might be an attempt to nurture ourselves. It becomes a problem when the act turns violent, i.e. stomach ache, self-hatred, etc.

So, I'm trying to find that balance, as always.

Which means, I'm back to my McCann's steel cut irish oats and egg whites in the morning. But I found a new delicious way to eat my two favorite things together. I made hard boiled eggs, discarded the yolks, and filled the little holes with mashed avocado. Delish! And replaced the bad fat of the yolk with the marvelous fat of the avocado. I didn't have cilantro or lime, so I didn't bother to make guacamole, but the salted, mashed avocado, was equally perfect. It reminded me that one day I must live in a villa with avocado trees growing in the backyard. I have yet to find a more perfectly satisfying thing to eat than a perfectly ripe avocado.

Remember when Janet Jackson was fat(ish)--circa "Nasty"? I remember reading an interview in Seventeen magazine with her shortly after she became super buff and she said that she was a chubby child because they had a grove of avocado trees on their property in Southern California and she used to go out there with a salt shaker and eat that fatty green flesh to her heart's content.

This is probably why avocados are not the best way to fill myself up and why they should best be enjoyed in moderation. There's that friggin' word again.

My friend Jessica also said she went from a size 6 to a size 12 when she studied in Chile solely because of the abundance of avocados in her diet. Damn.

I'll work on that moderation thing. But down with diets! I know I must eat the way I choose to eat the rest of my life, so I'm working on tweaking that.

Have fun working a short day today, dahlink!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?