Thursday, June 23, 2005

Summer of childhood reclaiming

I do find the "pancake" derishush; I had one this morning with some cantaloupe and chai green tea. You will love them, too. I have decided this.

The bike riding has made me feel so much like a kid again that apparently I'm beginning to regress in age. Pam didn't recognize me today in the waiting room; she said I looked "like some fresh 18 year old." I'll take it. If I'm looking 10 years younger now, it sure will come in handy as the years go on. . . .

I had such a craving for nachos today that I made them in the lowest fat version I could imagine and eat without barfing. It ended up quite delicious: baked blue corn tortilla chips topped with vegetarian chili from a can, a slice of fat-free kraft sharp cheddar, chipotle salsa and fat free sour cream. I followed that with a Klondike fat free ice cream sammich (on sale today at Meijer!) and a diet cherry vanilla dr pepper. All the while I was watching Days of our Lives.

Then it hit me that this is exactly what the summers of 1987-89 looked like when I would join Mandy for several weeks in Grand Saline, Texas, a little town in East Texas where her grandmother lived. Dorothy (grandmother) would spoil us rotten by singing us awake, serving us biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast, watermelon (cut in those ice-cold, giant quarters, eaten barefoot on the back porch), ice cream sammiches and dr peppers all day long, homemade fried chicken and sliced 'maters from the garden for dinner with a freshly baked cake for dessert, and then after she went to bed we'd stay up and eat loaves of wonder bread and chips with ro-tel and velveeta as we watched horror movies we'd rented and scream when we'd see the roaches fly off the walls. In between eating, we'd play with Tiger the cat (who carried bbs under his skin from being shot by crazy neighborhood kids), ride bikes and go fishing. Life were good. And so it is now, albeit lower-fat with higher-intensity exercise and sans the schrapnel-laden cat.

I'm gonna ride my bike to ballet again today, but I'll take Oakland instead of Portage Road to avoid certain death.

And I am friggin' sore from Tracy's ass kicking yesterday. yay! Can't wait to see what she'll have for me tomorrow in what will be our 12th session together. I'm signing up for another 12 immediately!

Good for you for getting all your exercise in--I know it's tough with your schedule. I think weights have to be our number one priority. For me, the cardio takes care of itself, meaning I hate dragging my ass to the gym, but I love getting outside in all kinds of ways. Where I live is the ultimate in outdoor summer enjoyment, though; I can't deny how easy it makes exercise for me. Swimming is pure enjoyment in a cooling, relaxing sort of way for me--I hop in the lake after gardening, bike riding, running . . . and am so grateful. I've heard it's not the best exercise for fat loss, though, because the body doesn't heat up the same way it does with other cardio. But it is one of life's great pleasures; in fact, I decided two days ago that skinny dipping is one of the most delightful sensations in the world. Too bad we don't get a chance to do it more often. I was awaked by a swimmer this morning at 4:30; I hope she was naked.

If you want to run, all you have to do is start picking up the pace every now and then in your walking. Jog for 20 or 30 seconds and then walk for 10 minutes and repeat the cycle a couple of times. Gradually start increasing the amount of jogging and reducing the walking. It really works. Just don't overdo it, because you don't want to get injured; that'll really fuck with your fitness.

overdoing is bad. In fact, I decided not to do the twice a day thing. I'm committed enough to exercise that I can trust my body when i listen to it. I won't cop out of workouts; if my body is tired (as it was this morning), I let it rest until later when I pound it with biking and ballet. Actually there is nothing pounding about either of those things, which is exactly why I love them!

I checked out Carlos's blog today, and now I'm thinking of running the 10K he's doing in July. Do you have his number? I might give him a call . . . not for anthing other than run talk, mind you. But it could be fun!

As for Fight Club, yes I enjoyed Brad Pitt's beautiful, whoring body, and some of the philosophical overtones, but the bloody fight scenes got to me. Not one of my favorites, although I'll admit my perception might be affected by the fact that while watching it I sucked down two glasses of red wine and a glass of another concoction I must now share with you: take several basil leaves, a peach, crushed ice; cover it with cheap lambrusco (fizzy $5 italianish candy red wine) and blend. Delish. Funny how a few glasses of alcohol drunk alone can bring great happiness and clarity, then send one directly to bed for 11 hours. From that experience I decided that I love summer more than anything and that I shouldn't drink alone ever again.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?